Featured Categories

'You Are A Badass'| Book Review

Thursday, October 26, 2017


One of my new years resolutions this year was to start reading more....well (let's be honest) it was to actually start reading anything at all! I have never had an attention span long enough to start and finish a book within a reasonable amount of time. I always get bored and put it to the way side, so I knew if I actually wanted to accomplish this resolution I was going to have to get my hands on some damn good reads. I started this mission by ordering the New York Times best seller, 'Girl Boss'. It seemed right up my ally and IT WAS. It was an amazing book that I totally recommend for a new reader like me or someone in need of a little real life inspiration. I mean it had to be good to keep my attention - you can take that to the bank!

After reading 'Girl Boss' I was on a mission to continue with my new year's resolution and keep reading! I posted on social media and asked you guys what I should get my hands on next...that is where 'You Are A Badass' comes into play. I will go ahead and thank you now, because it was just what I needed. Here are some of my biggest take away's from the book and why I really loved it...

  1. The book focuses on trusting the Universe (or God) but lets you decide. 
  2. The book forces you to put yourself in charge of your life again. It explains how you are the one that decides what happens in your own life. Of course, you cannot control EVERYTHING that happens to you, but you can control what you want to want 
  3. I learned the importance of a image board. Jen (the author) explains this as visually telling yourself exactly what you want in your life. It trains your brain to believe and know that anything is possible.
  4. Each bite sized chapter has numbered tips on how to accomplish each "how to" and always ends with a tip that tells you to love yourself. I really loved this detail in the book because loving yourself is truly such a major key to happiness.
  5. She has a chapter about meditation that I really loved and needed. I feel like sometimes it is so easy to fall into a fast paced routine while trying to be a "bad ass". It is often hard to find time to live in the moment and appreciate the little blessings in life. Take the time to believe in yourself and love yourself.

Other great feature of this book were all of the great quotes!! Each chapter begins with a corresponding quote to what you will be reading about next. Here are some of my favorite ones that really stuck with me....
"You are a victim of the rules you live by" - Jenny Holzer 
"Most people are living in an illusion based on someone else's beliefs"- book quote 
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are" - Kurt Cobain 
"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" - Andre Gide 
"What you choose to focus on becomes your reality" - book quote 
"Surrender to what is. Say "Yes" to life and see how life suddenly starts working for you, rather than against you." - Eckhart Tolle 

I would overall say that this is an awesome book for anyone who is ready to take charge of their own life. It is also great for the person that needs just a little more direction on how to live every moment of their life the way they want and achieve the highest success. This book delivers important life messages in fun and digestible way that is easy to translate to your own life. I loved it and hope you will too!!

What should I read next?

Ready, Set and GO!

XX, Priscilla 

No comments:

Post a Comment